KAASS Law fights hard to help victims involved in Uber and Lyft accidents, including both drivers and passengers, as well as third party drivers and pedestrians who were injured to get the compensation they deserve. If you were involved in an Uber and Lyft accident, understand which insurance coverage is in effect during the 3 different periods.
California Uber/Lyft Liability Insurance
Under California law, Transportation Network Companies, including Uber and Lyft, are required to provide primary third-party liability insurance and maintain $200,000 of excess liability coverage during “Period 1”. Period 1 occurs when you have the Uber or Lyft app on but are still waiting for a passenger. Therefore, you’ll still want rideshare insurance to cover you during Period 1 when your App is on driver mode. Period 2 Match Notification begins when you accept a ride request, as such Auto Liability Coverage and Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage as well as Contingent Collision and Comprehensive Coverage is in effect. Likewise during period 3, when you’re dropping off your passenger(s) same coverage applies.
Period 1: Lyft Third Party Auto Liability
Lyft’s third-party automobile liability policy will be your primary policy during Period 1. Lyft will also maintain $200,000 of excess liability coverage during Period 1.
Period 1: Rideshare app is on but you haven’t been paired with a passenger, California law has the following minimum requirements.
- $50,000 bodily injury liability coverage per person injured in an accident
- $100,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $30,000 of property damage liability coverage per accident
Periods 2 and 3: Uber/Lyft Auto Liability Insurance
Periods 2 and 3: Once you’ve been paired with a passenger and after they’ve entered your vehicle, the rideshare company, such as Uber or Lyft are required to carry a $1 million liability insurance policy in California. This covers you and your passengers during Periods 2 and 3. Depending on the company, it may offer additional coverage during these periods as well.
- Uber provides drivers with $1 million of uninsured and underinsured motorist bodily injury coverage. It also provides comprehensive and collision coverage with a $1,000 deductible so long as the driver has collision coverage on their personal auto insurance policy.
- Lyft provides comprehensive and collision coverage in California, as long as the Lyft drivers has collision coverage on their personal auto insurance policy. Lyft’s deductible is $2,500, which is what you’d have to pay out of pocket before it covers any damages.
Does Uber/Lyft Provide Rental Coverage?
If you (the driver) are involved in an accident with a passenger in the car, Uber and Lyft’s insurance will provide liability and collision coverage, however they often won’t cover things like rental cars, lost wages, and medical expenses. Thus, It is in your best interest to consult with a Los Angeles Uber accident lawyer about your case before speaking with Uber or an insurance adjuster. With professional legal assistance, you will have more leverage in settlement negotiations with Uber and get the compensation you deserve.
Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyers Can Help
A Los Angeles Uber accident lawyer can help Uber drivers recover damages for the following:
- Damages to your car: Property damage to your car as result of the accident
- Lost Wages: If your income is dependent upon driving for Uber or Lyft, recovering lost wages is especially essential because since you’re a rideshare driver, you won’t be able to work/make money until your car is repaired
- Medical: Medical treatment as result from an accident can be costly, and even at low speeds, injuries do occur, therefore, you may .be entitled to medical treatment costs
- Rental car: While, you wont be able to drive Uber or Lyft using a rental car, you may still need a vehicle to get around while your car is being repaired
Uber/Lyft Accident Attorneys Helping All Injured Victims
If you were involved in an Uber or Lyft accident in California we invite you to hire our dedicated Los Angeles Uber and Lyft accident lawyers today. Our skilled Uber and Lyft accident attorneys leverage their considerable experience into obtaining significant settlements from insurance companies who are known for being reluctant to pay out on claims. You can rely on our experienced lawyer to carefully analyze the facts of your case to prove the facts necessary.
To schedule a free consultation with one of our rideshare lawyers, call Kaass law today at (310) 943-1171 or send us an email through our online appointment form.