Menu Close

Can I File A Lawsuit For A Slip and Fall Accident?

Filing a lawsuit for a slip and fall accident is more common than you may believe. You have a right to compensation if another company’s conduct or inaction caused injury to you or a loved one. These include rehabilitation fees, medical expenditures, missed income and earnings if you were unable to work, and emotional pain and grief. Filing a compensation case is often not difficult since the law company you select will do all of the legal work for your case.

To begin, the statute of limitations in the jurisdiction where your accident occurred will govern how long you have after the accident to make a claim. If you do not file within the statutory deadline, you will immediately lose your entitlement to compensation for any of your losses. Regrettably, not everyone is aware of this. Furthermore, knowing the statute of limitations and how to initiate a slip and fall injury case in California would necessitate at least a rudimentary awareness of legal frameworks.

What is the California Statute of Limitations for Slip and Fall Accidents and Injuries?

California’s statute of limitations for slip and fall accidents and injuries may differ from your state’s statute of limitations. These sorts of cases currently have a two-year statute of limitations. This implies that you must file your claim within two years of the date of the accident. However, the plaintiff has one year from the date of discovery to file a claim if the injury was not immediately discovered.

Do Minors Have a Different Statute of Limitations for Filing Lawsuits?

Whether those being wronged are deemed minors, that is, under the age of 18, affects the statute of limitations. If so, they will have two years starting from the day they turned 18 to submit the claim. Naturally, if their parents or guardians have previously filed a claim on their behalf, they are not eligible to do so.

What Are the Slip and Fall Restrictions on Government Property?

Different restrictions and regulations apply if a slip and fall happens in a government facility. The claim goes through an administrative hearing as the initial stage in this procedure. The administrative agency that oversees injuries caused by government institutions will consider the claim. In California, this is known as the Office of Administrative Law. This office must receive the claim within six months after the accident. The claim can thereafter be rejected or denied by the Office of Administrative Law. The plaintiff can then file a claim in their local civil court.

How Can You File a Slip and Fall Claim?

The activities you did immediately following the accident will have a significant impact on the outcome of your claim. Unfortunately, people frequently can’t recall anything because they’re too distraught or because they have mental or physical disabilities. To improve your chances of submitting a successful claim, it is always essential that you adhere to the steps listed below.

  1. Notify the property owner about the accident..
  2. Gather information from any witnesses that were there.
  3. Collect evidence from the scene.
  4. In case of injury, visit the emergency room.
  5. Contact an attorney.

You will not be responsible for the actual legal process of submitting a claim. Simply select a legal firm to act on your behalf, and they will perform all of the necessary tasks on your behalf. However, if you have recorded proof as outlined in the preceding phases, it will be extremely beneficial to them.

Contact a Los Angeles Attorney Today

One of our many practices is slip and fall accidents. Call our office if a slip and fall accident caused your injuries. We will assist in serving your needs as your attorney. Contact our office at 310.943.1171.

1 Comment

  1. Pingback:Slip and Fall Compensation - KAASS LAW

Leave a Reply

Call Now