Prescription drugs are an essential part of modern healthcare, but they can also lead to wrongful death. There have been numerous cases throughout the United States where prescription drugs have been the cause of wrongful death. These cases can arise due to a variety of reasons. In some cases, the prescribing doctor, the pharmacist, the manufacturer of the medication may be liable for the wrongful death. It is important for individuals and their families to be aware of the potential risks associated with prescription drugs. If a wrongful death occurs, it is necessary to seek legal counsel to explore options for seeking justice.
Causes of Wrongful Death
There are several causes of wrongful death due to prescription drugs. Some of the most common include:
- Failure to properly assess risks and benefits. For example, a doctor may prescribe a medication without fully understanding the patient’s medical history or other medications they are taking, or a patient may not be properly informed about the potential side effects of a medication.
- Failure to properly label or package the medication. To clarify, a pharmacy may mix up medications or dispense the wrong dosage, or a manufacturer may fail to include important information about the drug’s risks and side effects on the label.
- Dangerous side effects. By all means, some medications can have potentially life-threatening side effects, even when used as directed. However, these may not be adequately knowledge to patients or their doctors.
It is important to be aware of the potential risks of prescription drugs and to speak with a healthcare professional if you have any concerns. It is also important to follow the instructions for taking the medication as directed to reduce the risk of dangerous side effects or overdose.
How Can Attorney Help?
In cases where prescription drugs lead to wrongful death, the surviving family members may be able to pursue a lawsuit to hold the responsible parties accountable. This could include the prescribing doctor, the pharmacist, the manufacturer of the medication, or any other party that played a role in the wrongful death.
If you believe that a prescription drug has caused the wrongful death of a loved one, it is important to seek legal counsel as soon as possible. A qualified attorney can help you understand your options and guide you through the process of pursuing legal action.
There are several steps that you can take to prepare for a potential wrongful death lawsuit:
- Gather evidence. This may include the deceased person’s medical records, the prescription medication in question, and any other relevant documentation.
- Consult with an expert witness. It may be helpful to consult with a medical expert who can provide testimony about the potential risks and side effects of the medication in question.
- Keep track of expenses. If you are pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit, you may be entitled to compensation for expenses related to the death, such as medical bills, funeral expenses, and lost wages. However, it is important to keep track of these expenses and any other documentation that may be relevant.
- Consult with a lawyer. A qualified attorney can help you understand your options and guide you through the process of pursuing legal action.
Know that every case is unique, and the specific steps you should take will depend on the circumstances death. An attorney can help you understand your options and advise you on the best course of action.
Contact Glendale Attorney Today
If your loved one has suffered a wrongful death due to a prescription drug, it is important to get help. Explore your options for your specific case by calling KAASS LAW now. Reach us at 310.943.1171 and visit our website for other practices.