Have you ever wondered what you should do if your loved one dies in an Uber accident? Uber is a commonly used ridesharing company which enables people to use the company as a way to commute from one lace to another. With this being said, the odds of a fatal accident could be fairly high. It should be n a loved ones best interest to understand the legal rights behind a fatal car accident.
What is a Wrongful Death Claim in Uber Accident?
A wrongful death claim is a legal action. It is brought against someone who has caused the death of another person through their negligence or intentional act. In the context of a car accident, a wrongful death claim may be made if the driver was found to have been at fault for the accident and the death of the passenger or another driver.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
In most states, only certain close relatives of the deceased person, such as a spouse, children, or parents, are eligible to file a wrongful death claim. In some states, other parties, such as siblings or grandparents, may also be able to file a claim.
What to Do After a Fatal Uber Accident
Here are some steps you should take:
- Contact the authorities and file a police report.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Take photos of the damage to the vehicles involved.
- Seek medical attention, even if you don’t think you have injuries.
- Report the accident to Uber.
What Happens if You’re at Fault for the Uber Accident?
If you are at fault for a fatal car accident while driving for Uber, you may be liable for the wrongful death of the passenger or other driver. In this case, the family of the deceased may file a wrongful death claim against you, seeking compensation for their loss. The amount of compensation that one may get will depend on various factors. For example, the earning potential of the deceased, their age, and the extent of their pain and suffering before their death.
In addition to the wrongful death claim, you may also face criminal charges if the cause of the accident was reckless or negligent behavior, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. You may also face fines or license suspension if you violate traffic laws or regulations.
How Does Uber’s Insurance Policy Apply in a Wrongful Death Claim?
Uber provides insurance coverage for drivers while they are on an active trip, which includes coverage for accidents involving fatalities. However, the exact amount of coverage will depend on the specific circumstances of the accident and the laws in your state. Uber’s insurance may cover either the full amount of the damages or there might be a limit on coverage.
What Are the Limitations of Uber’s Insurance Policy?
- Coverage Amount. The policy may not cover all the damages sustained in a wrongful death claim, and there may be limits on the amount of coverage available.
- Exclusions. The policy may have exclusions, such as intentional acts or accidents related to alcohol or drugs.
- Time Limits. The policy may have time limits for filing a claim. If a claim is not filed within the specified time frame, the driver may not be eligible for coverage.
- Active Trip Requirement. The policy only provides coverage while the driver is on an active trip with a passenger. If the driver is off-duty or does not have a passenger in the vehicle, Uber’s insurance may not cover it.
- Insurance Deductibles. The policy may have deductibles that must be paid by the driver before insurance coverage kicks in.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage. The policy may not provide coverage for accidents caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers.
It’s important to understand the limitations of Uber’s insurance policy and to review the terms and conditions carefully. If you have any questions or concerns, you should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can help you understand your legal rights and options and ensure that you get compensation for your losses.
What to Do if Your Wrongful Death Claim Is Denied
If your wrongful death claim is denied by Uber’s insurance company. So as, if you are unsure whether your claim is covered, it’s important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options and guide you through the process of pursuing a claim against the at-fault driver or the insurance company.
Call Us Today
Driving for Uber or any other ride-sharing company can be a convenient way to make some extra cash. However, accidents can happen. If you or someone you know has been in a fatal car accident while driving for Uber, it’s important to understand your legal rights. By taking the right steps and seeking legal assistance, you can reach us at 310-943-1171. With our help, you will get compensation for your losses, and justice. Visit our website for other practices.