In an age where technology continues to develop, liabilities for professionals and businesses evolve as well. Many businesses, such as Youtube content creators and other media and advertising professionals, are purchasing cyber liability insurance to protect themselves.
What is Media Liability Insurance?
Media liability insurance is an insurance policy that protects media-related businesses. This includes publishers, broadcasters, advertising agencies, content creators, and video or film producers. It offers broad protection to help policyholders with the costly damages resulting from a variety of media-related claims.
What Does Media Liability Insurance Cover?
The term “media” is a broad term. As such, media liability insurance should be customized to fit the content creators’ needs. Media liability policies are designed to protect the insured from common media and entertainment-related liability risks, which can include, depending on the policy:
- Copyright infringement
- Verbal or product disparagement
- Breach of implied contract
- Breach of a license agreement and/or breach of the product placement agreement
- Unauthorized use of material, trademark, or names
- Invasion of privacy
A media liability policy will usually cover the cost of any settlements and judgments against the insured, as well as necessary defense costs and other miscellaneous legal fees.
Other Media Liability Insurance Coverages
Other media liability insurance policies may also protect subsidiaries, directors, officers, and business employees. The cost of defending a liability claim can be financially devastating for any organization. Agents need to review all the nuances of their client’s organization(s) to ensure that the coverage they can offer is broad enough to cover all necessary entities without leaving any gaps in coverage.
Other Policies for Media and Advertising Businesses
Advertising agencies, social media companies, publishers, and other media and advertising professionals should also consider other covereages including:
- General liability insurance: A general liability policy can cover expenses related to third-party bodily injury or property damage, including medical bills and legal costs.
- Media liability insurance: Media liability insurance is also referred to as professional liability insurance. This policy protects media and advertising professionals against lawsuits related to advertising injuries.
Los Angeles Business Litigation Attorneys
If you are a content creator and have been served with a lawsuit for works that you have published, we invite you to contact our Los Angeles business litigation attorneys at (31) 943-1171 today.